Big Mountain Safari1 Comment
Big Mountain Safari™
All-mountain backcountry sojourn
On this, our flagship custom mountain bike tour we’ll help create your ultimate mountain bike adventure in Scotland.
Guided. Self-guided. Coached. You decide! Think about it as Scotland’s wildest rides – tamed. On this epic mountain biking journey through Scotland, you have lots of options:
- Guided. Enjoy the most adventurous riding in the most varied locations across Scotland with one of our expert guides
- Self-guided. Go it alone with a self-guided option
- Coached. Let our mountain bike coaching partners Dirt School help you find your mountain biking mojo with world-class coaching along the way*
Tailored for you from several days to as long as you desire – you can ride through the most iconic of Scottish mountainscapes from the Scottish Borders, Cairngorms, Glencoe and Ft William to Knoydart, the Isle of Skye and Torridon. Depending on your tastes and budget, here’s some of the ingredients we can mix to make your ultimate mountain bike adventure in Scotland.
On the big one, you’ll take six individual boat trips, spend a day riding off the gondola in Fort William, sample the finest ales and whiskies in the UK’s best inns and pubs, eat the freshest produce and enjoy the warmest hospitality anywhere, and of course ride beautiful natural trails under some of the most breathtaking mountain tops in Scotland.
Scotland can be a wild place. A place of big mountains, rock faces, boulder strewn trails and some of the best wild riding imaginable. IMBA didn’t give Scotland global superstar status for nothing and on this voyage of discovery you’ll soon find out why! Accessing this remote back country can be a daunting prospect yet it can be the most inspirational and exciting riding terrain there is. It’s a mountain biking adventure that takes you one step at a time until you reach the final, ultimate and iconic routes of Scotland.
- Type of Trip All-mountain guided, coached* or self-guided
- Level Tailored to suit your abilities and aspirations
- How Long? As a custom trip we tailor the duration to suit you
- How Challenging? It’s up to you!
- Adventure Factor? Off the Scale!
Have you ever seen a photograph of a rider immersed in the mountains, surrounded by peaks and beautiful trails and wanted to be that rider in the photo? Thought you would never be able to get out there and ride it? Well we want you to be that rider, experience those landscapes and ride those trails in style.
That’s why the UK’s leading big mountain tour company and mountain bike coaching company have joined forces – to share our knowledge of the best trails in the world, with you and to show you how to ride it, to tame it and to conquer it.
“Everyone, even world champions have a coach, and we’re there to not only better your riding – regardless of your experience – but also to allow you to get the most out of the wilderness by building your confidence and helping to remove the stress of a solo venture.” Chris Ball, Director, Dirt School
Consider this trip a holiday with benefits – an investment not just in your experiences but in yourself. You’ll leave us not only with memories of epic trails in incredible locations but also with the skill set to take your riding up a gear when you get back home. As a safari, we take you on the road to only the best spots, building you up from some of Scotland’s finest managed trails, to our biggest and most beautiful wild mountain routes.
By the end of this trip your riding will be through the roof, and you’ll already be thinking of when to book your next trip to Scotland. Based on the week-long tour, to make sure you get the most out of the Safari we start the trip with one and half days on specially selected mountain bike trail centres that give us the opportunity to talk you through what you’ll encounter out in the wilds, get you prepared for the big country – so you can go on to experience the wild rides without feeling like you’re in a classroom. After all, our aim is to give you the tools to truly experience the big mountains without feeling frustrated, overly challenged or nervous about what lies ahead.
Following your first few days of being coach led, the teaching element will back off and the guided adventure takes over, giving you the chance to absorb, ride and enjoy the trip. However, your coach will never leave you flying solo. In fact they’ll be on hand the whole week to help you, answer your questions and make sure you have everything you need to really get the most from the riding.
“Is this a training camp?”
No Way – it’s the opposite. This trip is a holiday with benefits. Fun and good times are the main aim of this trip, we’re just here to make sure that when you come across a challenge on the trail, we can help you get over it so you can go on to experience the next amazing view, singletrack or landscape.
You can expect a structured introduction to key techniques and skills in the first two days. You’ll then be left to practice them out on the big terrain but never without a coach to help with anything you need. This way, you can enjoy your riding and the epic scenery and still learn and grow in ability and confidence throughout the week.
Book with us and we’ll arrange a personalised itinerary including transport, accommodation, bike rental and guiding too. For self-guided mountain bike tours of Scotland, we provide a comprehensive package. Read on…
Big Mountain Safari™
Here’s what you can expect
- An itinerary created by experts to suit you
- Professional Coaching (*optional)
- Video of your riding throughout the week (*optional)
- Apres ride playback sessions if you desire (*optional)
- Individual focus on your riding development
- Great group experience, mellow atmosphere and good times
- Expert answers to any riding questions you may have
- Professional Guide/s
- Alternatively, if you opt for a self-guided trip – once we’re confident you’ll be okay going it alone – we’ll let you loose in the wilds fully loaded with an action-packed itinerary, GPS files and maps of your rides
- Quality Hotel / Guest House Accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis (self-catering, and more modest options also available)
- Baggage transfers, ferries and private transportation throughout the trip
- Gondola lift passes (*optional)
- Charter boat access to remote trail gems (*optional)
- Mechanical Support
- Detailed pre-departure information
- Trip photos
- Join the trip at the location that suits you (please contact us to discuss)