Soul TrailsComments Off on Soul Trails
Women only yoga & bike adventures
We’re now seeing almost as many women mountain bike riders as men coming on trips and exploring Scotland with us. That’s a big shift from the early days when it was single figures and we’re stoked to be a part of that. We recently asked whether there was still a place for women-only trips and the response was a resounding YES!!
Soul Trails are a fresh twist on our popular Mountain Lassies adventures, and for 2018, we are combining all of the best bits of one our favourite Mountain Royale trips with one of our favourite people – Anka Martin. Bikes, being outside in the wilds and the flow of Vinyasa style yoga makes this a truly memorable experience. And all in Scotland of course!
So, what makes Soul Trails with Anka so special?
- Guaranteed good times. We laugh a lot on trips with Anka!
- Learn from Anka’s experience as one of the world’s most seasoned riders, racers and adventurers – on and off the trail
- See your riding get stronger as the week goes on with expert guidance and bucketloads of support
- Ride in wild settings, enjoy the rugged landscapes while taking on unique challenges and find new-found flow
- Get more mountain savvy and confident riding in the mountains and sharpen up your trail repair skills (or if you’re already a super-confident all-rounder – come on board and share your expertise with the group!)
- Get bike fit and strong with Vinyasa style flow yoga to help build up your core strength, balance and coordination (optional / no experience needed)
- Go home with memories of a truly unforgettable experience and make lifelong friends from around the world
Our exclusive base for the week is the Highland village of Braemar. It’s a very special place, so much so even the Queen spends her vacations here. And it’s no wonder why – you’ll sample incredible riding in the splendour of the Cairngorms, Angus Glens and Deeside. We guarantee you’ll be spoiled for choice in this secret mountain bikers paradise. Our guests love the riding here – take a look at some recent feedback!
It feels like we’ve been riding here forever and the mountain biking never gets stale because there’s so much to choose from. Each day on this mountain bike tour, we spider out into the wilderness by bike or in the vehicle from the picture postcard Highland village of Braemar in Deeside to pick up sweet ribbons of singletrack, ancient drove roads and long forgotten tracks we’ve uncovered over the years.
The Mountain Royale mountain bike trip is something we’re very proud of and to have Anka onboard in July makes it extra special. It’s one of those areas that’s still very much under the radar of the mountain biking public so it comes as a big surprise just how fantastic the riding is. But also because it offers up such a huge variety of riding from big mountain epics to sweet forest singletrack (plus a healthy slice of ‘apres-biking’ too!).
- Type of TripAll-mountain
- Technical Grading and above
- Endurance Grading and above
- How Long? This is a week-long adventure running Saturday to Friday
Here’s what you can expect
- A week exploring the lesser known trail gems of the Cairngorms, Deeside and the Angus Glens
- Professional Guides – expertly trained, hugely experienced but most of all great fun and with a wealth of local knowledge to share!
- Unique Lodge Accommodation in the heart of the action
- Healthy breakfasts everyday (for other meals, we’ll enjoy preparing fresh lunches and evening meals together at the lodge as well as dining out on local treats in nearby inns and eateries)
- Logistics and comprehensive support including backup vehicle, First Aid and mechanical assistance throughout your trip
- Detailed pre-departure information
- Trip photos
- Join the trip in Innerleithen, Edinburgh or Perth (alternative arrangements may be possible – please contact us to discuss)
- July 14th to 20th
- Logistics : A/B/G/T/S
- Price: £925.00 per person
Trips typically begin with a fresh coffee (of course!) and a rendezvous around 9am in the Tweed Valley with pick-ups in Edinburgh and Perth (full details are sent out beforehand).
After high-fives and handshakes, a last-minute supply run may be the order of the day, then we safely secure our precious cargo onto our custom bike trailer, load the minibus, turn on the tunes and kick off the adventure! As we truck north to our Deeside HQ, we’ll treat ourselves to a tasty ride on some lesser-known trail delights in this slice of mountain biking heaven.
By the time we swing back into the village we’ll be ready to crack open the beers and rustle up a hearty dinner at our accommodation or nip out and enjoy some local pub grub and ale of course!
Five minutes out the door of your fantastic accommodation, you’ll be picking up your second taste of what’s on offer.
Big ups for big downs and wide smiles. We’ll take it easy on the climbs though, keeping plenty in the tanks for the good bits. A mix of fast natural heathery singletrack, granite slabs and long steep descents are the rewards for today’s efforts.
That evening, we’ll probably give in to the lure of the local pub and enjoy some great grub, a tasty ale and the buzz from shredding some of the funnest descents anywhere.
Big mountains and big flow. Epic panoramas are just one reward for reaching the plateau of one of the UK’s highest summits – the real dessert comes when we tackle the maze of pristine singletrack below us.
Before we focus on the trail, we’ll take five to soak it all up – in this landscape of giants, we’re just dots. It’s the perfect environment to forget the daily grind.
The tiny mountain town of Braemar is the gateway to the most rewarding back country mountain biking in Scotland – today’s going to be quite an ‘out there’ experience.
Definitely a three sandwich kind of day!
It feels like we’ve been riding here forever and the mountain biking never gets stale because there’s so much to choose from. Mountain Royale is a land of contrasts – the Queen’s highland retreat is nearby, hidden deep in the silent forests of ancient Scots Pine sheltering beneath some of the UK’s highest summits, where the sub-arctic landscape is more similar to Scandinavia than the rest of the British Isles.
Today is one of our favourites – a loam-rich rollercoaster through the pines.
With so much riding on our doorstep, we’ve plenty of time for another dose of singletrack goodness to keep your head spinning for weeks – this time a sweet ribbon, only reached by an ancient drove road and long forgotten track we uncovered over the years of exploring this maze of mountain biking fun.
Just as you’re getting into the groove, you realise it’s our very last day…after a relaxed breakfast, we’ll sort out our kit, take one last look at this incredible part of Scotland before starting our homeward journey south.
Awesome riding, bike specific yoga classes to help you warm up and wind down, small groups and a cosy atmosphere, great healthy food and nice wine. Curious about this trip, but still not quite sure if it’s really for you? Drop us a line and we’ll talk through the whole adventure with you!